Once Upon a Time as Dana
Share our conversation about the sterotypes between moms and dads for a few minutes!
The kids and the business came to being at the same time for Dana.
- She and her husband had tried to have children, and she was in a Directorial position with a company, working 14 hours a day, etc.
- Stress probably had a lot to do with not getting pregnant.
- She and her husband agreed that she should step away from corporate, and try her hand at consulting
- Immediately, she became pregnant.
- She also immediately knew she was not built to be a stay-at-home mom.
- She never baby sat, never had those dreams of motherhood at home.
- You want to be great at both, but…
- Parenting and Entrepreneurship are literally two of the things you can never truly prepare for. @DanaMalstaff #parententrepreneur #preparation #startup Click To Tweet
- I honestly used to feel that if I loved my #business I didn't love my #kids. NOT TRUE! @DanaMalstaff Click To Tweet
- There is enough love for all of it!
- We forget that our kids look right back at us, and the world they perceive is true is a reflection of our actions.
- It’s important to let our kids know that the world is about more than just them.
- When we judge another, we take a whole lifetime of experiences that determine what we think is right or wrong, but when we judge someone else, we have only that moment.
- Reserve your judgement for people you know really, really well.
- Assume positive intent.
- Judging a #parent or #entrepreneur on one action we may see negates everything that came before that action. @DanaMalstaff Click To Tweet
- The Boss Mom brand took less than a year to reach 6 figures, but I failed at 2 others the two years prior.
- Consistency is much more important than one great month. @DanaMalstaff #startup #parententrepreneur #profit Click To Tweet
- We all want those big paydays and passive income, but everyone who builds a successful business without either a coach or years of previous experience.
- Who I am, how I talk to people, and how I connect is very much a part of the success of my business.
- Once I build my brand, I can add webinars, sales funnels and retreats to grow my revenue and profit.
- As your business grows, 9 times out of 10, so do your expenses. #startup #parententrepreneur @DanaMalstaff
Create a spreadsheet with the following:
- Revenue (sales/income)
- Expenses (anything you had to pay out to run the company – including your own salary)
- Gross Profit (What’s Left Over!)
Remember to also subtract your credit card processing fees – usually they are 2 – 3%
Jake and JoJo are Dana’s two kids.
What is the typical day for a BossMom?
- I send both my kids to school every day (Jake is 3years, and JoJo is 16 months)
- Mondays are strategy and meal prep days
- Tuesdays are jam packed with calls – I’m totally energized
- Wednesdays are content creation days
- Thursdays are call days again with afternoon catch up
- Friday mornings are more coaching, and Friday afternoons are hopefully happy hour!
- Dana and her husband each get one day a week off from parenting
- Mornings are kid time to play with mom
- Evenings are enjoying quiet time with movies, drawing, cooking, etc.
- Weekends are always outdoors (in Southern California)
- I only work with people who empathize with the fact that I have kids
When you prepare and plan ahead to get done whatever you need to get done while your kids are being cared for, your life is so much easier.
The way I don’t feel guilty about loving my business while I also love my family is because I am really confident in my decisions.
- How much do I really want to travel (with my kids)?
- How much time do I really want to be with my family every day?
What is the first thing someone developing a business needs to do to make their business more consistent and independent?
- Complete the grid for Urgent and Important by Stephen Covy
- Don’t spend so much time in non-urgent and non-important
- Put daily actions into this grid associated with your calendar, also
- Code these actions according to how you enjoy the activity
Enjoy the Journey!